Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Politically correct answers in real life

(the main idea here is from a Bryan Regan comedy show, I’ll only take partial credit)

So like most of you I was pretty happy when the election finally ended in the fall. (And I was pleased with the outcome, which shouldn’t surprise any of you, but is not the subject of this post) So I’ve always loved watching how politicians handle questions. SNL does some great skits on this. They get to say stuff like, “I’m not taking questions right now” or “let me answer that by first asking you a question” or “before I answer I’d like to thank you and the university for hosting this great debate which I’m sure will benefit the public for generations to come . . .” Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could all handle our real-life questions the same way politicians do . . .

Wife: Are you ever gonna clean the bathroom like I asked you to last week?!

Husband: Let me answer that by asking you a question . . . do you want to get a babysitter and go out Friday night?

Wife: Ok, that’s fine, but you avoided the question about the bathroom.

Husband: I have no comment at this time.

Wife: Oh, ok, cool.

Policeman: Sir, are you aware of how fast you were going? Will you show me your license and registration?

Guy Driving: Sorry, I’m not taking questions right now, but I should be back in town in a couple of weeks.

Policeman: Fair enough, I’ll look forward to it.

Boss: That report was due yesterday, where is it?!!!!

Cube Dweller: Before I answer I’d like to thank you and the company for providing the warm, loving environment for we employees to learn and grow in . . .

Boss: Huh? (walks away utterly confused but having forgotten about the report)

We should all give these little approaches a try. Some of the most powerful men and women in the world handle questions this way, there must be something to it . . .

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin