Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Who Built These Streets?!

So my fitness-freak wife signed me up for my first ever 5K which happens on Saturday. If you know me, you know I’m built more for the shorter distance stuff like the walk out to the mailbox. To many of you 3.1 miles is a short distance . . . you’re the ones I don’t like. I’ve been “training” for a few months now. (Please note the air quotes) I’ve done this by logging in lots of miles on the treadmill and trying to eat green things.

As the race day is approaching I’ve been telling myself for weeks that I should probably start running outside, cuz they probably won’t let me use a treadmill in the race. Finally last night I walked out the front door for my little run. Here’s a newsflash for you – running on streets and sidewalks is different than running on a treadmill. First, there are no TVs. This wasn’t the biggest shock ever, but I realized how reliant I am on my dear friends on CNN, ESPN, MSNBC, CNBC and ABCDE to distract me from the burning in my legs. The next thing I noticed was a little loneliness. The big guy with the back hair who walks on the machine next me at the gym was nowhere to be found. And the 70 pound girl who wears out treadmills in a week that I use to push myself was also MIA. It was just me. I could walk, sprint, stop or visit the Dairy Queen around the corner and no one would know. The last realization kicked in about halfway through my run. Whoever put these streets/sidewalks in forgot to build in some type of cushioning/spring technology like my precious treadmill has.

But I finished my run and felt alright when I got home. I’m pretty worried about Saturday. I’ll state publicly (to both of you who read my blog) that my goal is to finish in less than 30 min. I’ll report back and all the results will be online for the world to see (Oh good). I’m guessing that Traci will finish the race and then start over to join me for the last half of my run. (this is the girl who got third and won a freaking medal last year in her first ever 5K) I’ve long since lost my pride about the whole thing, but I never thought I’d say that I miss my treadmill.

4 comments:

Krista said...

Liked the picture on your blog. :) Good luck with your race.

Krista said...

Liked the picture on your blog. :) Good luck with your race.

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify- it was third in my age-group. But thanks for your kind words Scott. You'll do awesome!

JJ said...

Good luck! More power to you. I am signed up for my first 5K in late June but have not started training outdoors yet. Let us all know how it goes.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin